Friday 8 January 2016

Homemade Healthy Granola

I do think it's completely crazy how every January we all jump on the bandwagon of getting fit and healthy. Our bodies are so important and our health is really all we have, so why don't we take care of ourselves all year round?

I am saying this now, however like most of us, I ate my body weight in chocolate over Christmas....and even after doing a super healthy food shop yesterday, whilst in town I bought a bag of Terry's chocolate orange bites and ate the whole thing by myself!
However I am now starting to feel extremely sluggish and have been getting headaches this past week.
More than ever last year I learnt that it's great to workout and eat well to look gorgeous and get a hot bod, but really to keep your insides healthy should be our main objective.

Taking this forwards, this morning I decided to make a batch of granola. One of my favourite breakfasts to have is yoghurt, berries and granola but unfortunately most shop bought packets are filled with so much sugar. So I created my own version. It was super simple to make and there are lots of recipes online, but I thought I would share my one with you.
It really makes a difference to know what is in your food and therefore going into your body.

Here is what you will need:


Add the oats, flaxseeds, coconut flakes and chopped dates into a large bowl. You can use as many or as little of these ingredients as you like, but put a good amount of oats in as the base.


Blend the pecans and almonds in a blender, I use my Ninja, until they are quite finely chopped, and then add into the mixture too. You can add some whole nuts if you prefer a crunchier granola.


Melt some coconut oil over the hob or carefully in the microwave and pour it over the mixture, stirring it through as you go. Then pour into a baking tray and squeeze some honey over the top.


Bake it in the oven at about 180C until it is all golden brown.


Once it has cooled, add the raisins in and also some more chopped dates. Then store in an air tight container and enjoy!


This is a super delicious but also healthy way to start the day. There is no added sugar, only natural, sweet ingredients and I am definitely looking forward to digging in and hopefully beginning my healthy lifestyle. Wish me luck!


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Pennies and Feathers. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig