Wednesday 2 March 2016

My Journey Through Grief




On New Years Eve I wrote a post to share with you all my thoughts on 2015. Those who read it, or know me personally, will know that I lost my beautiful mummy and best friend to cancer in September.
It is the most horrible disease and at the mere age of 26, I unfortunately know too much about it.
I am far too knowledgable about all of the treatments and their side affects, every pain relief medication and the way the body shuts down. I wish I was naive to this world but nothing can change that now.

Over the past 5 months I have trawled the internet trying to find people who understand me and who have also lost a parent at a young age. There is surprisingly not a lot of information, only websites and support groups for children and teenagers or adults in general. Most of the adults you hear from have parent's who have died in their 70's and 80's. Losing a parent is always a heartbreaking experience, however at this age it is a little more expected, and the children would usually have their own families already.

So where does this leave me? There is a smaller amount of us who are young adults; perhaps still living at home, without children or husbands, who are thrown into a terrifying world without our loved ones at an age where we never expected them to be gone.
I won't have my mum at my wedding. She will never meet my children.

I want to start sharing my ups and downs and my path through grief with you all.
I want to create a place where I can safely write down my feelings, partly as a form of therapy for myself, but also to help anyone else in the same position.
I have found that it is a very lonely place to be a bereaved 20-something, so I want to create a little community on the internet for us.

I will still be writing my beauty and fashion posts, and mixed in will still be lifestyle...but sadly this is part of my life now, so for me, it makes sense.
It's very easy to read blogs and see a perfect life that you envy...we all are guilty of it. However life isn't perfect for anyone, and I want this space to be real.

I hope that you will all share in my journey and that I can help a few people not to feel alone.


SHARE:

9 comments

  1. Your amazing....keep it up x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 37 so a bit older than you, but I lost my dad a month ago. I'm in a different situation as I have an 8 month old son. I'm thankful that dad met him although upset that he won't see him grow up. My son is my saving grace as it's the one thing that making me not want to join my dad now but I'm not afraid of death anymore as I know I'll be with dad again.
    Sorry for your loss as you should have had more time with your mother.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clare, thanks for the comment. I'm so sorry for your loss too, whatever age it is still so hard. That's lovely that your dad did meet your son, and like you said, just enjoy him and appreciate your time together even more. Your dad will be watching I'm sure xx

      Delete
  3. I lost my Dad a few months ago, I'm only 25. I've similarly tried to find information for people in our situation and not found anything, so I look forward to seeing your posts. Sending you lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma, I hope you are doing ok. It's such a terrible thing to go through, but we aren't alone and that can be a comfort. Lots of love to you too xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Jessica I am 24 and 5 years ago today I lost my mum, not to cancer but in a similar situation to yourself, my mum was only 41 and I was 19, I'm here to tell you that life without the woman who is your best friend from day one, doesn't get easier but somehow you learn to live with it, I really hope you find solace and achieve all of your goals in life good luck and if you ever want to talk, I'm here xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so sad but it does help me to know there are people out there in our situation. It's all so terrible but I've come to realise that there are a lot of people who have lost a parent and they are managing to live their lives. Although I don't want to, seeing that they can shows me I can too xx

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. Beeslot situs benrtingan online
    dengan reting ke menangan tertinggi
    dengan minimal deposit 25.000 dan wd
    50.000 san saja buruna tunggu apa lagi
    buruan gabung dan rasakn sendiri sensasional nya


    https://36.255.141.19/

    ReplyDelete

© Pennies and Feathers. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig